HERE OTA Connect is a full-stack client/server software solution built around the Uptane security framework, featuring a microservice architecture and an open-source core.
The solution, which provides open APIs, give users the ability to create targeted update campaigns, monitor existing campaigns, and securely update map data, software, and firmware inside a vehicle.
Although OTA updates are relatively new for some types of automotive software, several large players in the automotive industry have implemented some form of OTA technology in the last few.
Several functions OTA covers:
- The first types of software applications to be updated with OTA technology were applications that controlled non-critical functions. These types of updates included content updates for navigation maps and updates to specialty apps that were included as part of infotainment systems;
- The software files were relatively small and updates didn’t pose any major safety risk. OTA technology is also gradually being adopted to update the core software that runs the entire infotainment system, but these updates tend to be larger in size and require more bandwidth.These types of updates can be slow to complete on a standard mobile data network and are more suited to faster Wi-Fi connections. Another component that is increasingly updated OTA is the Telematics Control Unit (TCU);
- TCUs connect cars to the outside world and are commonly used to track the location of the vehicle using GPS technology. However, they’re also used for services such as traffic updates, roadside assistance and remotely controlling garage doors.
- Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science or similar;
- Solid knowledge of OOP, algorithms and data structures;
- Strong design and coding skills;
- 5+ years overall developing experience;
- 3+ years C++ experience developing product features and functionality;
- Very good knowledge of C++11 features;
- Experience with data standards (XML, JSON);
- Experience with Linux based environments;
- Experience with SCM systems like Git, Mercurial, SVN;
- Good communication skills;
- Fluency in English, both in written and spoken form.